Sunday, December 19, 2010

Service to others

-Lou Holtz : "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."

Every night I fall asleep and I can see the attitude I left on the table. While most of the day I cultivate a "can do, grateful" attitude, I will slip into the dealing in minor things as if somehow I can change the circumstance to fit my need, rather than looking at circumstance and seeing how I can change.

We are often given to these lapses where where the minutia of life is too much to handle and we give in. I suggest that while we are in such frames of mind that we stop and examine our larger goal or purpose; we will find that they are are often incongruent. So the question becomes, how do I more quickly get back to harmonizing my thoughts, attitudes, and actions.

The fastest and easiest way to return to this harmony is by helping others. I get out of my mind and into some form of service.

Right now I am trying to introduce people to new ways to lose weight, http://mikesfunandeasy.5minutetour.com however, at other moments I am listening and sharing experience strength and hope in the area of addiction. When we stop and look for where we can be of service to others we naturally drop the preoccupations that cause us the greatest discomfort.

I still get lost in moments and couldn't think myself out of a paper bag, but the duration and intensity of these moments diminishes as I learn to apply the attitude of gratitude to others in all facets of my life.

Be well, and find ways to be useful to those around you,

Michael




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts count: