Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday's Inspiration:The Morning Drive

"Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life's cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another you have only an extemporaneous half possession...  Do that which is assigned to you, and you cannot hope too much or dare too much."
Ralph Waldo Emerson


Emerson certainly wasn't the first to think of the idea that when you do what you are supposed to do, what you're meant to do, you are fulfilling your purpose in life.  Now, I understand that we all must work or have a job or otherwise earn some form of money; and we are not all going to be able to make a career out of our purpose.  However, I do suggest that if you are not doing your purpose in some form of your life, you are cheating yourself.

Inspired people do inspired things.  They attract people who are inspirational, and they build on the good feelings that come from the cycle of fulfilling their inspiration.  The funny thing about inspiration is that it can come at any time, from anywhere, and often sneaks up and is gone before most people ever saw its face.

My morning drive to work is one of those inspirational moments that I get to appreciate, if I choose to do so, almost every day. I travel on open country road, down 126 through cornfields, and farms.  Yes they still exist.  My commute has me on my way at the true crack of dawn, when the blue black of night breaks, and the warm tangerines come breaking across the horizon.  There is a corner farm I see every day that has dairy cows, and I look forward to every Spring.  The calves run and play, while moms mow the wide open fields.  It is hokey, and sometimes it feels like another world, and that's a good thing.  These moments transport me to a place of infinite possibility and appreciation; some of my most inspired thoughts come during these hours.

I don't know a better way to start off a day.  Even during thunderstorms my drive is pure awe.  There's something magical about the wide open space, and sparsely trafficked roads, that opens the mind to all of the divine wonders and capacities that each new day brings.  It is often with mild discomfort that I begin to see the traffic lights and know that I am just minutes from beginning my work day.  I know I must earn a living, however, my burning desire to is to create my life based upon moments like those I experience on my morning drive.  Those moments are real, and untainted by the busyness of life. Creation occurs in those wee hours.

I cultivate the now based upon moments like those I have on the drive, and I apply them to the amazing company my friend and I are building.  You see, we both share a common desire to live life fully and with total appreciation, and when you know what you're meant to do, it's easy to know where to go.  I prepare with a very clear outcome ahead, a specific attainable goal, and I pursue that goal with the same passion that my eyes chase the dawn with every morning on my ride.

Be well, and live inspired.

Michael
Email Me
My 5min Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts count: